Skip to main content

How To Give Used Candle Jars A New Lease Of Life

Hello again everyone, I have a completely different post for you this time!


I keep buying all this ‘stuff’ and it’s so nice I can’t bring myself to use it … but it’s starting to get out of control and taking over my home!!

So I’m challenging myself on 2 levels – 1) use up my stuff; and 2) try something new.

Well I had some empty candle jars so I thought this would be a good way to use up some stuff and try something new at the same time and this is what I came up with.

I am over the moon with the results as it’s the first time I’ve tried anything like this.

What I used:
·      Empty candle jar
·      Decoart white gesso
·      Starlight paints
·      Decoart metallic paints
·      Imagination Crafts rice papers
·      Imagination Crafts fabric glue
·      Twine
·      Raffia
·      Hessian
·      Ribbon
·      Paper flowers and embellishments from craft box

Here’s what I did:

Firstly, I applied a coat of white gesso to the jar and allowed it to dry.
I then chose a selection of paints that go together and randomly sponged all over the jar until it was covered. To do this I used a cut up kitchen sponge … no fancy tools here!
 
I then chose an image from rice paper and traced around it with a wet paint brush and gently tore it from the sheet. I applied a layer of the glue to the back of the image and applied it to the jar, spreading more glue over it to smooth it down and reduce air bubbles. I left a few small creases to add to the effect.
Next I wrapped raffia around the neck of the jar and secured with hot glue. I then tied a length of twine over the raffia and tied a Verdigris key to it.

Using hot glue – I then attached hessian, ribbon, paper flowers and crystals to the jar.


Now you have to be patient and allow things to dry … something I’m not very good at.

I have used fabric glue on here as that is what I have and it worked fine, just takes slightly longer to dry; although you could give it a blast with a heat gun as the glass is heat resistant after all … which I remembered after waiting on all the layers to dry naturally!!!

For next time, I’ll be saving up empty coffee jars so they can be transformed … which means I’ll have more ‘stuff’!

Have a go – it’s really easy – I’d love to see your results.

Thanks for popping by.

Leanne x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Make a Glittery Star Using the Vivi Gade Paper Star Strips

We're thrilled to welcome Lotte  Littau, the co-founder and co-owner of Creativ Company to Hochanda this week. She's travelled all the way from Denmark to bring you incredible shows across three days, showcasing the Christmas paper range from Creativ Company. Lotte will be bringing you lots of demonstrations throughout her shows on how you can use all of these beautiful papers to create a Scandi Christmas this year. Here's just one of the projects Lotte will be showing this week...  Step 1. Half two 2.5cm wide paper star strips. Now only use three of the four paper star strips. Step 2. Double over each of the three paper star strips and cut all the ends at an angle. Put a star strip around another star strip and fold it tightly three times around this star strip. This is illustrated in the picture. Repeat this process with the other two star strips. Step 3. Assemble the three paper star strips over and under each other, forming three double le

Join us at the Stitching, Sewing & Hobbycrafts show!

Join us at this year's Stitching, Sewing & Hobbycrafts Show!  2nd - 5th November NEC Birmingham. You can grab the hottest ICHF Event tickets right here ! This year's Stitching, Sewing & Hobbycrafts show is going to be even bigger and better than ever, not only will you be able to explore the latest crafting supplies, exclusive product launches and expert demonstrations - a true crafters paradise; there is also free entry to Simply Christmas and Cake International! Taking place at the National Exhibition Centre (NEC) Birmingham from the 2nd - 5th November, discover a whole new world full of creative inspiration all under one roof - and this year there is no compromise! We will be broadcasting live for a full 4 hours a day joined by our very own presenter enthusiasts including Leonie Pujol, Yiannis Morgan, Hayley West, Dave Bradford and Matt MacNamara. Conducting live demonstrations, audience Q&A’s and photo signing opportunities, this is your opportuni

Card GIVEAWAY - One Day Special - Dies by Sue Wilson

The wonderful John Lockwood launches beautiful dies from Sue Wilson, as the One Day Special this evening.  I managed to grab John on his way in (he didn't even manage to get in the studio) and get one of his lovely cards as our give away.  It's extra special as it's got Johns signature on it :) If you would like to be in with a chance of winning this lovely card, then add your comment to this post. Tune in to Hochanda every day 24/7 for lots of fun and crafty demonstrations! Watch our programmes live >  Hochanda.com You can also tune into Hochanda on Freeview channel 39, Sky channel 663 or Freesat  817.